Penshaw Monument

About Penshaw Monument

Penshaw Monument was built on top of Penshaw hill in honour of John George Lambton, the first Earl of Durham. It was built in 1844 using about £6,000 raised by public subscription, however funding ran out and the roof and interior walls were never added. Penshaw comes from the old word 'pen' meaning hill and 'shaw' describes a wooded area. The Grade 2 listed monument, built in the form of a Greek Temple, stands 136 metres above sea level. It is based on the design of the Theseion, the Temple of Hephaestus, in Athens. It was designed by Newcastle architects John and Benjamin Green, and built by Thomas Pratt of Sunderland. In 1988 Sunderland city council added floodlights and the monument dominates the skyline and can be seen for miles around. The monument is now in the care of the National Trust.

East Barnwell Farm, Chester Road, 

Penshaw, Tyne and Wear 

DH4 7NJ 

0191 534 5241